It gives pupils survival language and starts the development of conversational English
Guided Language Activities
Guided Language activities: a complete induction programme
Real learners Guided Language Activities is a 6-week induction programme. It gives pupils survival language and starts the development of conversational English. It also introduces them to the everyday routines and expectations of school life.
How do I use the programme?
We recommend using the programme with small groups of pupils, between 3 to 6 at a time. This means everybody gets a chance to listen, repeat and practice new language structures in a relaxed and safe environment.
The number and duration of the sessions depends on the children’s needs, but we suggest:
- Key Stage 2 – ideally three to five sessions a week; 20 – 30 minutes per session, depending on the activities chosen.
- Key Stage 1 – three to five sessions a week if possible; 15 – 20 minutes per session, again dependent on the activities you choose and the children’s ability to concentrate.
- EYFS – one or two activities per day for 5 – 10 minutes to maintain their attention.
What’s in the pack?
A step-by-step instruction guide including:
- Over sixty, colour coded activities, planned and ready to use
- Easy-to-follow instructions with every activity
- A simple before-and-after pupil assessment with guidance and materials
- Target vocabulary and resources to support every activity
A full set of resources:
- A Round Robin puppet
- School Bingo – 4 game boards and 24 cards
- Classroom pairs – 24 cards with photographs of classroom objects
- School Tour Photos
- Number pairs – 40 cards with numbers from 1-20
- Survival fans – 6 sets of 8 pictures highlighting basic needs
- ‘What’s in the bag?’ drawstring bag
- Animal Bingo – 4 game boards and 24 cards
- Food pairs – 24 cards with photographs of various foods
- Food Bingo – 4 game boards and 24 cards
- Activity pairs – 24 cards showing different verbs
- A pair of dice
- 6 quality model animals
Guided Literacy Activities:
- Over 60 literacy based activities, each activity linked to one of the programme’s 6 units
- Designed to support pupils’ developing literacy skills
- Can be used in school or given as homework